Match Report

Match:  Kirkby Bott Cup 4th Leg
Venue:  Watersfield
Winner:  Steve Simmonds
Runner Up:  Colin Bridger


This was the final leg of the Kirkby Bott trophy and was fished on the Arun at Watersfield. This year there have been problems with getting the right tides for the matches on the Arun and because of this we fished three hours of the up tide with an hours slack and two hours of the down tide.

There was an overnight frost but match day started with dry and sunny weather but it soon clouded over with rain and an increase in wind at midday. The rain persisted throughout the afternoon but at least was on-off. As the tide came in this gave problems in some swims creating ‘boiling’.

Things did not start too well for two anglers – Mick who found that he had brought the wrong rod holdall when setting up and had to drive back to McDonalds at Arundel, where he met his wife who had brought the correct one for him (Thanks Morag- you are a star)- Steve who had got the draw time wrong for the match and turned up an hour and half before the other anglers.

Fishing was very poor with both anglers, who caught, catching them in the first hour. Vince fished for a couple of hours and then decided that he was wasting his time so went back to his workshop to collect a chainsaw. A work party was held after the competition had finished to clear overhanging branches in one swim and also clearing branches out of the river to increase the space in another swim. Thanks to Les Goddard, who had turned up to spectate and was roped in to help.

In first place, fishing the Mint swim was Steve Simmonds who caught 5 roach weighing 0-5-0. Four were caught on the float and one on the pole feeder.

Colin Bridger was fishing the swim upstream of the trees and caught a dace on his first cast with a stick float on rod and line and did not have another bite. This fish weighed 0-2-0.

After the four legs of the Kirkby Bott series Vince Herringshaw with 29 points was the winner from Steve Simmonds with 24 points.